Please turn in your Application Assignment 5 here. You can find a description of the assignment, questions, and a rubric below. Here is a student example Download student example, another example Download another example and tips included here. Download tips included here. Remember these are just examples.
What: In this assignment, you are aiming to demonstrate the following objectives:
- Explain different areas of development and important considerations during middle and late childhood.
Why: It is important to be able to properly educate parents and others in the lay community.
- Choose a topic (don’t feel like you have to include every single detail from the textbook or other credible source)
- Physical Growth, Physical Education, Sports, Childhood Obesity (i.e., select only 2 to focus on if you choose this bullet point)
- Brain Growth, Cognitive Development, Information Processing, Language Development (i.e., select only 2 to focus on if you choose this bullet point)
- Education, Learning Disabilities, ADHD in Children (i.e., select 1-2 to focus on)
- Socioemotional Development, Friends & Peers, Family Life (i.e., select only 2 to focus on if you choose this bullet point)
- Create a 6 sided pamphlet (i.e., only one side can contain only photos; The remaining slides can be text only or text and photos).
- A pamphlet is a small, unbound single subject hand-out that provides less, but more focused information than a brochure. Pamphlets are most commonly used to educate the reader about a particular topic.
- You may submit a Word document (search templates for brochures) or PDF. Please don’t paste your brochure on a Word document like the examples. Canva.comLinks to an external site. has some templates and allows you to save as a PDF. (i.e., make sure you look for the FREE templates).
- Include the following information
- Introduction to your topic (i.e., description). Consider the reasons this topic is important.
- Identify and elaborate on important concepts regarding the topic (i.e., you may use the textbook and any credible sources for information)
- Use language parents would understand
- At least 3 resources that parents can use to learn more on your topic; each resource should have a brief description (e.g., reputable books, podcasts, websites, etc)
- Do not plagiarize. You must still summarize and paraphrase any info you use from any source. Since the pamphlet is small, I won’t require in-text citations but you should list your sources under the parent resources area. They should be referenced by identifying them with a brief description such as ‘According to the CDC’ to give them credit.
- Review your pamphlet for grammar and spelling. Review your information to ensure that it is accurate, clear, and substantive. Check your information against the rubric.
- Be mindful of the visual design of your pamphlet. All details should be legible, balanced, organized, and aesthetically pleasing.